Friday, February 20, 2009

Sneak Peek - The Aldridge Family, Kinglake West Residents {Melbourne Family Photographer}

Copyright Getty Images 2009 - Kinglake West


I drove home from this session wondering how on earth I was going to blog this session as I had so much I wanted to write, say and do.
On Saturday, February 7th 2009 I had two Maternity shoots lined up for my portfolio, inside out of the expected 46+ degree forecast. However, one of my clients had to reschedule due to having a prior engagement in Yarrawonga.

My first client Megan arrived and the temperature was already souring above 30 degrees. The usual 'Werribee Winds' were extremely dry and hot.

I commented to Megan that with the forecast for the day, it was not going to be a good day. I had no idea just how devastating the day was going to be. The worst bushfires in Australia's history had hit our beautiful, picturesque mountain villages claiming well over 200 lives.

Sadly, Victoria had lost too many lives to comprehend...families had lost loved ones, friends and property as well as pets, livestock and livelihood.

Images and stories flooded the news bulletins and all Australians shed a tear for the toll and felt the need to help out in some way.

What I didn't know at the time, was that the client who had to reschedule actually resided in Kinglake West (picture above) - and if she had of actually been at the shoot in the morning- then she would have been at home later that day with her beautiful daughter when the Kinglake West fire swept through.

You could imagine the multitude of 'what if's' that have been going through my clients mind about that day.

There is so much more I want to say...the Aussie Spirit is alive and well. This family will be ok, I know they will be...they are true survivors because after all is said and done...they are still here. They are looking forward to moving back into their home and welcoming their new baby into the world.

Most clients will rock up to a shoot with a few changes of clothes. Ang rocked up with a basketful of clothes apologising for not having that much to bring. We joked about the fact that well, that that was pretty much all she had left to wear as most of her wardrobe had been either scorched or smoke effected.

So, let me introduce my beautiful client Angela. Her home has been severely effected by the bushfires. She has lost her belongings, beloved pets, livestock and her town and fellow towns people. But you wouldn't know it when you meet her.

She exudes vibrance, friendliness and excitement and I was so very honoured to have been able to capture these images for her today. It was meant to be a maternity shoot, but after I had seen her facebook images of her burnt and scorched home, I insisted we made it a family session.

You may also notice Glen's red wristband - all permanent residence of Kinglake West are required to wear these now so that they may enter their town and property.

This is Angela laughing at me for being unable to tell a joke to get her to laugh for the camera - I did a great job at non-joke telling ;)




Angela, Glen and Lulu,
Thank you for sharing today with me, I hope today was a little bit of a distraction and time out for you all. I look forward to hearing all of your good news in the next few weeks! Take care of each other!
xo
Chrissy

28 comments:

  1. What a a stunning and vibrant family :)Wishing them all the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family and oh so jealous of that gorgeous pregnant belly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos of an amazing family :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the happiness and strong spirit of this beautiful family in these photographs. Sending good thoughts & wishes their way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story. thank you for sharing both the aldridge family and chrissy. -xx-

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all glowing, beautiful pictures of a beautiful family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous pictures. Keeping your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are just gorgeous. What a gorgeous family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful family! Chrissy the photos are gorgeous as usual but it wouldn't be hard with such spunky subjects.

    I love the one with mum and dad's legs with their child walking between and a beautiful pregnant belly.

    I wish I looked that good when I'm pregnant :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos of a gorgeous family! Wishing them all the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've shed so many tears already for the people of Victoria who have lost their lives, families, homes, pets and everything they own, and now I'm shedding a little more. So glad your clients are safe, and the photos are simply gorgeous. The fact that they're still smiling shows their fantastic spirit. I hope they're back on their feet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Through so much death and destruction a new life grows... such a miracle. You've caught some beautiful moments here Chrissy... such important memories for them to be able to look back on for years to come. This family and all those in Victoria will remain in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chrissy, what beautiful images of this sweet young family! Best wishes to them - I admire their strength in the face of adversity! Gotta love that Aussie spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, stunning photos Chrissy! What a beautiful family, who have obviously been through so much but the love and strength just shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing story. Wonderful photo's too.

    Lulu is just gorgeous and Angela has a wonderful baby bump.

    My thoughts are with the family as they try to rebuild their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the curls on that beautiful little girl! Great shots.++

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow hun you truly captured the sweet spirit and the quite strength of this family! many prayers to them as they move forward from this difficulty

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh these are awesome, gorgeous mommy, and beautiful family, love the location and style of these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goosebump stuff. Both the story and the photos - well done. I'm sure they'll cherish them.

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful photos Chrissy, you have done it yet again. Best wishes to the family, especially when their new bub joins them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are gorgeous :) To the Aldride family, All the best for rebuilding, I think your love and good spirits will help you through, and please know that you have the support of so many of us across Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What absolutely beautiful photos, and absolutely BEAUTIFUL subjects!! Just absolutely gorgeous family shots, Chrissy. I'm sure that the Aldridge family will treasure these forever.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow - what a gorgeous family. Lulu is stunning and I especially love the last one.
    I hope things get back on track for them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. absolutely gorgeous family. these photos are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just LOVE that one of the kiddo walking and the parents just half seen. Her belly looks so great in that. I would print that HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are beautiful.. LOVE LOVE LOVE that last one! Wish I knew where they got the sweater.

    Jodie G

    ReplyDelete